Friday, August 2, 2013

Little Bay at East End of Jesse Island

When taking visitors on a kayaking tour of Departure Bay, in Nanaimo, I like to circumnavigate Jesse Island.

Salish Sea and BC Coastal Montains: seen from Jesse Island beach
Salish Sea and BC Coastal Montains:
seen from Jesse Island beach


There are a couple of small, but nice, beaches on Jesse Island. Unfortunately, they're not always accessible. And when I say, "not accessible", I don't mean because a boat of some sort would be required to get to them. No, in the case of Jesse Island, the problem is a loud, vicious looking dog. Jesse Island is a private island, and the owners are entitled to "guard" it any way they see fit. Unless.... Unless, as per my reading of provincial documents (I'm no lawyer):
Aquatic lands are the foreshore and beds of streams, rivers, lakes and coastal waters, such as Georgia Strait, the Strait of Juan de Fuca and inlets. In British Columbia, the Crown retains ownership of lands below the natural boundary, except in very rare instances. 
BC Ferry passing the navigation light on Jesse Island
BC Ferry passing the navigation light on Jesse Island
So, as I'm no lawyer, I read this to mean that the beach below the "natural boundary" (the high water mark?) is Crown Land. I further read this to mean that I can land my kayak there and enjoy the beach to it's fullest.
Enjoying the beach at east end of Jesse Island
Enjoying the beach at east end of Jesse Island
So.... So, I wish the owners of the island would get their dog under control. I believe all kayakers, and the poor residents of the opposite shore, would agree with me. The dog is loud and annoying!

Photos taken: 2011-07-04